Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Democrats and Republicans: Time for a reboot

For the last decade, Hollywood has been doing a lot of "reboots" where venerable series like Batman and James Bond have either gotten so silly or their roots are so far in the past that they need to go back to the beginning of the series and tell it from scratch. They need to get back to their roots.

The special election in Massachusetts yesterday was proof that both Republicans and Democrats need to reboot their own parties. I've been a centrist Democrat all my life - I'm just not sure I know what that means anymore. Maybe I'm just a centrist. My fellow Republicans are in the same boat. No one knows what it means to be a Republican anymore. The Democrats may be dazed and confused, but they have a platform. They're fragmented over the details, but they have a platform. The Republican party has ideals - somewhere - but they have no platform. They've been the party of "No" all year.

So now we're faced with two parties running the country that don't know what they want to be when they grow up. Maybe they even have an idea, but they definitely have no plan to get there.

We could always follow George Washington's idea - first things first, let's get rid of all the parties and vote on individual issues.

No comments: